Personal Media Usage

Media Usage and Its Impact on My Personal and Academic Life 

     Media plays a significant role in my life, both on and off the field. As a college football player, I rely on various forms of media every day, not only for entertainment but also for learning, staying connected, and finding inspiration for whatever I need in that moment. Whether I’m scrolling through social media, texting friends, or watching game film on YouTube, media helps me in countless ways. Still, like anything else, there are pros and cons to how I use it. In this blog, I’ll walk through my media habits, the platforms and devices I rely on, and how media positively and negatively affects my personal and academic life. Ultimately, I’ll show how finding balance with media use is crucial—not just for athletes like me, but for anyone navigating the challenges of college life. 

 


 My Daily Media Habits


     On a typical day, I use media in different ways depending on what’s happening and what I need. My phone is the first device I interact with in the morning because it’s my alarm clock. Once I’m up, though, I don’t immediately dive into social media. I’ve made it a habit not to check my phone until I’m done with my workouts. This helps me stay focused on what’s important and avoid distractions. Throughout the day, I use my phone and laptop for both personal and academic purposes. During the offseason, I might spend around six hours a day on personal media, but during the football season, I try to keep it down to three hours or less so I can focus on schoolwork, practice, and recovery. Academic media usage is usually around 1-2 hours daily, depending on the assignments I have. In the evenings, I use my phone to relax. Sometimes I’ll listen to music, watch YouTube videos, or scroll through Instagram and Twitter. I like using these platforms to get ideas for workouts, hairstyles, and even new meals to try. I also use YouTube a lot for watching football content, whether it’s highlights from NFL games or practice drills that I can bring into my own training. I’m on several platforms throughout the day, including:
  •  Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat for staying connected and finding inspiration. 
  • YouTube for football content, workouts, and tutorials
  •  iMessage and FaceTime for keeping in touch with friends and family. 
  • Facebook occasionally, mostly for announcements and events 





Even though I use media a lot, I like to think that I keep a healthy balance. Some of my friends are on their phone’s way more than I am. I prefer engaging in real conversations, so I’ll often put my phone away when I’m around people. Still, there’s no denying how much media has become part of my daily routine.  

Positive Effects of Media on My Personal Life


     In many ways, media has had a positive impact on my personal life. It’s a constant source of inspiration and motivation. When I’m scrolling through social media, I come across new workout ideas, football strategies, and motivational content that helps me stay on track. For example, seeing athletes at the next level working hard reminds me to keep pushing towards my own goals. Media also helps me stay connected with people I care about. As a college athlete, my schedule can get overwhelming, and it’s hard to see friends and family as often as I’d like. Platforms like FaceTime and iMessage make it easy to catch up with people no matter where they are. Another positive effect of media is how it helps me learn new skills. Whether it’s watching a tutorial on YouTube or picking up cooking tips from Instagram, media makes it easy to expand my knowledge in areas outside of football and academics. 
 

Positive Effects of Media on My Academic Life 


     Academically, media is an incredible tool. There have been plenty of times when I didn’t understand something from class, and media helped me fill the gaps. For example, if I’m struggling with a concept, I’ll look up a YouTube video or find an article to explain it from a different perspective. Sometimes, seeing a visual demonstration makes everything click in a way that reading a textbook can’t. I also use AI tools to help clarify instructions or generate ideas when I’m feeling stuck. These tools aren’t doing the work for me, but they help me approach my assignments with more confidence. Platforms like Google Scholar and academic databases also give me access to reliable information for research projects and essays. Thanks to media, I’ve been able to become more self-sufficient in my studies. If I don’t get something right away in class, I know I can always find additional resources online to help me learn it on my own time. 

 Negative Effects of Media on My Personal Life 

     Of course, media isn’t all good. One of the biggest challenges I face is avoiding the trap of being stuck in an echo chamber. Social media algorithms tend to show me more of the same content I’ve already engaged with, which can limit my perspective. I sometimes have to remind myself to seek out different viewpoints and stay open-minded. Another downside is how easy it is to lose track of time when scrolling through social media. What starts as a quick check of Instagram can turn into 45 minutes gone without even realizing it. While I’m pretty disciplined, there are definitely moments where media becomes more of a distraction than a tool. Negative Effects of Media on My Academic Life Academically, media can also be a double-edged sword. While it’s helpful for learning, it can be incredibly distracting if I’m not careful. I’ve had moments where I sat down to write a paper, but a notification led me down a rabbit hole of random content. Suddenly, an hour had passed, and I hadn’t even started my assignment. I’ve learned to manage this by setting boundaries, turning off notifications, using focus modes on my phone, and taking intentional breaks from social media during study sessions. It’s not perfect, but it helps. 

 Finding Balance 

     The key to making media work for me is finding balance and staying intentional about how I use it. I’ve learned that media can be a powerful tool if I use it with a purpose. When I approach it with the mindset of learning, staying connected, or finding inspiration, it enhances my life in meaningful ways. At the same time, I recognize when it’s time to step back. During football season, for example, I intentionally cut back on personal media use so I can focus on the things that matter most, like practice, recovery, and academics. I’ve also learned that real-life experiences are more valuable than anything I’ll find on my phone. While I appreciate everything media has to offer, I don’t let it replace face-to-face conversations, time with friends, or being present in the moment. 

 Conclusion 

     Media is an essential part of my daily life, both personally and academically. It inspires me, connects me to the people I care about, and helps me learn in ways that traditional resources can’t always provide. At the same time, I’ve had to learn how to manage its downsides, like distraction and overconsumption. As a college football player, balancing media use with my busy schedule has been a challenge, but it’s also taught me a lot about discipline and focus. By using media intentionally and staying mindful of my habits, I’ve found a way to make it work for me, not against me. In the end, it’s all about balance. Media is a powerful tool, but real life is where the real growth happens.

Comments

Popular Posts